The AMC 8 is the most rigorous nationwide mathematics competition at the middle school level, dedicated to the goal of strengthening the mathematical capabilities of our nation’s youth. The AMC 8 provides a great opportunity for middle school students to develop positive attitudes towards analytical thinking and mathematics that can assist in future careers.
The AMC 8 is a 25-question, 40-minute, multiple-choice contest for any student grades 8 and below. It is run by the Mathematical Association of America. A correct answer scores 1 point and an incorrect or blank answer receives neither gain nor penalty. Hence a score of 25 is considered perfect.
- Certificate of Distinction given to all students who receive a perfect score.
- Distinguished Honor Roll (top 1%).
- Honor Roll (top 2-5%).
- Achievement Roll for 6th grade and below students who score 15 or higher.
Cutoff Scores for AMC 8 National Awards
|Year||Honor Roll||Distinguished Honor Roll||Achievement Roll|
Numbers of AMC 8 National Awardees (USA)
|Year||# of HR Awardees||# of DHR Awardees||# of AR Awardees||# of Perfect Scorers|
Notes: HR = Honor Roll, DHR = Distinguished Honor Roll, AR = Achievement Roll
Read more at:
- 2016 AMC 8 Results Announced — Eleven Students Received Perfect Scores
- 20 Sets of AMC 8 Mock Test with Detailed Solutions
- Premier National Mathematics Competition — AMC 8
- AMC 8/10/12/AIME Problems and Answers
- The Big Value of Middle School Math Competitions
- Great Benefits of Math Competitions
- A Little Competition Can Inspire Math Students to Greater Achievement
- Small-sized Class Instruction-focused Model
- Homework Correction is very Important — We Give an Extensive Correction of the Incorrect Answers of All Homework
- Homework assignments are a fundamental part of our courses
- Mathematics competitions are NOT mysterious, and every student can attend them! — 数学竞赛绝非神秘，每个学生都可参加！
- Girls should attend math competitions — 女生更应参加数学竞赛
- Why Math Competitions are so Important to Girls?
- 2015 AMC 8 Results Announced
- 2014 AMC 8 Winners for the U.S. Ivy League Education Center
- Why Discrete Math is very Important
In 2017, we have 61 students who are qualified to take the AIME either through the AMC 10A/12A or AMC 10B/12B. One of our students was among the 28 Perfect Scorers worldwide on the AMC 10A: Austen M., and two of our students were among the 65 Perfect Scorersworldwide on the AMC 10B: Ashwin A. and Brad Z. Remarkably, eight middle schoolers and one elementary schooler qualified for the AIME, which is geared toward high school students. Very impressively, Bryan Z., a 6th grader, gained a score of 132 out of 150 on the AMC 10B.
In 2016, we have 36 students who are qualified to take AIME either through AMC 10A/12A or AMC 10B/12B. One of our students was among the 23Perfect Scorers worldwide on the AMC 10A: Joel (Junyao) T. Particularly, seven middle schoolers and one elementary schooler qualified for the AIME, which is geared toward high school students. Pravalika P., a 6th grader, got a 115.5 out of 150 on the AMC10B, which is very impressive. Read more at: 2016 AIME Qualifiers Announced — 36 Students Qualified for AIME
From 2011 to 2015, in total, 37 students scored above 120 on the American Mathematics Contest 10 (AMC 10) and qualified for the American Invitational Mathematics Examination (AIME); 26 students scored above 100 on the American Mathematics Contest 12 (AMC 12) and qualified for the American Invitational Mathematics Examination (AIME); 3 students qualified for the USA Mathematical Olympiad (USAMO), the highest level of math competition for high school students in the USA. Read more at: Notable Achievements of Our Students
We have a long history of close collaboration with the MAA‘s American Mathematics Competitions (AMC), which are dedicated to strengthening the mathematical capabilities of our nation’s youth, and are the first of a series of competitions in high school mathematics that determine the United States team for the International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO).
We are only one in the Washington DC metropolitan area to offer elementary, middle, and high-school level competition math courses. Our students have received top scores and awards at prestigious national and math competitions. We have collected 116 full-length real AMC 10/12 problems sets containing 2,960 problems, as described in the article “116 Full-length Real AMC Problems Sets are a Golden Resource to Our AMC 10/12 Prep Program.” Particularly, we have extracted additional 3,000 brand new problems at the level of the AMC 10/12, from the licensed AMC Database. In addition, we have also collected all AMC8/10/12 and AIME Official Solutions as shown in the article “American Mathematics Competitions (AMC) Materials.” All these materials have formed a golden resource for our students, who are the ultimate beneficiaries.
Click HERE find out more about Math Competitions!
Click HERE to find out more about SAT Prep!