Both the AMC 10 and AMC 12 are 25-question, 75-minute multiple choice examinations. There are usually 10-15 questions that overlap with both exams. The AMC 10A is held on the same day as the AMC 12A; similarly, the AMC 10B is held on the same day as the AMC 12B.
In 2017, the AMC 10A and AMC 12A had 14 overlapping questions, which are shown in the following table.
Table: 14 Overlapping Problems in the 2017 AMC 10A and 12A
|2017 AMC 10A||2017 AMC 12A|
Click HERE to see all the 14 problems that appeared on both the 2017 AMC 10A and AMC 12A.
Let’s look at an example of this scenario. Suppose there are two students: Student X and Student Y.
Student X took the 2017 AMC 12A, and Student Y took the 2017 AMC 10A. Both get all the 14 problems shown above right, and they also both get 3 incorrect answers and 8 skipped answers. This is demonstrated in the following table.
|Student||Student X||Student Y|
|Contest||2017 AMC 12A||2017 AMC 10A|
|# of Correct Answers||14||14|
|# of Incorrect Answers||3||3|
|# of Blank Answers||8||8|
|Total Score||14 6 + 3 0 + 8 1.5 = 96||14 6 + 3 0 + 8 1.5 = 96|
|Qualification Status for the AIME||Yes||No|
Note that the 2017 AMC 10A/12A AIME cutoff scores are:
- AMC 10A: 112.5
- AMC 12A: 96
See more at: 2017 AMC 10A/12A AIME Cutoff Scores
Remember that both the AMC 10 and the AMC 12 have the same scoring criteria. Six points are given for a correct answer, 0 points for an incorrect answer and 1.5 points for an answer left blank.
Student X got 96 points out of 150, and thus, qualifies for the AIME through the AMC 12A. However, Student Y got 96 points out of 150 on the AMC 10A, and is 16.5 points away from qualifying for the AIME through the AMC 10A.
This year, it was much easier to qualify for the AIME through the AMC 12A than the AMC 10A!
More details can be found at:
- High School Competitive Math (for 6th to 11th graders) Spring Sessions Starting Feb. 18
- 365-hour Project to Qualify for the AIME through the AMC 10/12 Contests
- AMC 10 versus AMC 12
- American Mathematics Contest 10 (AMC 10)
- American Mathematics Contest 12 — AMC 12
- Notable Achievements of Our Students
- AMC 10/12 Historical Results
- The AMC 10 and AMC 12 Have 10-15 Questions in Common
- Some Problems on the 2016 AMC 10/12 are Exactly the Same as Previous AMC/ARML Problems
- Every Student Should Take Both the AMC 10A/12A and 10 B/12B!
- Students Can Easily Qualify for the AIME Through the AMC 12 During 11th and 12th Grade
Click HERE find out more about Math Competitions!
Click HERE to find out more about SAT Prep!