- We will focus on efficient tricks, shortcuts, and strategies to solve AMC 8/MathCounts problems as well as test-taking tactics.
- We will utilize a highly effective teaching model as described in the article: Small-sized Class Instruction-focused Model.
11 Classes (Eastern Time: 6:00 – 8:00 pm), Total: 22 Hours
9/10, 9/17, 9/24, 10/1 (Mock Test/Review
10/8, 10/15, 10/22, 10/29 (Mock Test/Review)
11/5, 11/12 (Mock Test/Review), 11/15 (AMC 8 Contest, No Class),
11/19 (Comprehensively Reviewing and Analyzing the 2016 AMC Problems)
Instructor: Dr. Henry Wan
You are very welcome to sign up for our Online Intensive AMC 8/Mathcounts Prep (for 5th to 8th Graders) Fall Weekend Course which offers a quick, efficient way for students to interact with teachers over long distance. We use Google Hangouts to video chat and easily connect with students to teach them our tricks and shortcuts to getting an amazing score on their contests, as well as offer them our guidance and support. Students can ask questions face-to-face, and can complete problems with the supervision of our teachers/coaches.
Online Registration is now open! Click HERE to register.
A commitment to the whole course can maximize the benefit of learning all the math ideas, methods, strategies, tactics, skills, and techniques.
Tuition: $720 (including all materials).
Ivy League Education Center
Tel: 301-922-9508 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Specific Goal of the AMC 8||To become part of the top 1% of scorers on the 2016 AMC 8, and then receive National Distinguished Honor Roll Certificates. In 2015, this was 21-25 correct out of 25 problems.|
|Specific Goal of the AMC 10||To earn a score of 90 or more out of 150 on the 2017 AMC 10, and then receive National Achievement Honor Roll Certificates.|
|Handout||The material covers math normally associated with grades 9 and 10. The emphasis will be on advanced comprehensive problem-solving, especially in fundamental Discrete Math.|
|Lecturing||The lecture will be presented at a faster pace, so more advanced materials will be covered in a shorter amount of time.|
|Homework||The focus will on the final 10 problems on the AMC 8, and the first 15 problems on the AMC 10, as well as those hard problems on the MathCounts. We will provide students with 500 brand new problems, extracted from the licensed AMC Database, having similar difficulty and style as the hard real AMC 8 problems.
Click HERE to see a typical sample (Advanced Level Problem Set).
There are many math competitions in the United States. Of those, only AMC → AIME → USAMO sequence would take you to the IMO (International Math Olympiad), the highest level math competition for high school students in the world!
- Full payment must be received on or before the day of first class.
- A late fee of $50 will be added to the tuition for payment after the first class.
- Withdrawal before the first class: Full Refund
- Withdrawal after the first class: $75 deduction
- No refund after the second class
Our curriculum focuses on advancing the mathematical skills of rising 5th-8th graders to prepare them for AMC 8 and MathCounts. A variety of contest questions, including the first 15 problems on the AMC 10, are used to teach students strategies to solve problems and help students prepare for the competitions. These problems stimulate their interest and enthusiasm for critical and creative thinking and problem solving, broaden their mathematical intuition, and develop their brainpower. The topics taught in this class are not covered in regular school math classes, allowing our students to stay one step ahead.
- 11 tutorial handouts (275 pages) developed by Dr. Henry Wan and 500 new problems at the AMC 8 level taken from the licensed AMC Database
- 3 FREE mock tests, each of which has 25 questions taken from the licensed AMC Database. Mock tests are calibrated to be at the same difficulty level as the real AMC 8.
- FREE registration for the AMC 8 Contest on Tuesday, November 15, 2016. Please see: The AMC 8 Contest at the Montgomery College on Tuesday, November 15, 2016
- FREE registration for the AMC 10A — Tuesday, February 7, 2017 and/or AMC 10B — Wednesday, February 22, 2017. Please see: The AMC 10/12 Contests at Montgomery College on February 7, 2017, and February 15, 2017
Read more at:
- 2015 AMC 8 Problems and Answers
- The Big Value of Middle School Math Competitions
- Great Benefits of Math Competitions
- A Little Competition Can Inspire Math Students to Greater Achievement
- Small-sized Class Instruction-focused Model
- Homework Correction is very Important — We Give an Extensive Correction of the Incorrect Answers of All Homework
- Homework assignments are a fundamental part of our courses
- Mathematics competitions are NOT mysterious, and every student can attend them! — 数学竞赛绝非神秘，每个学生都可参加！
- Girls should attend math competitions — 女生更应参加数学竞赛
- The Importance of Discrete Mathematics
- 2015 AMC 8 Results Announced
- 2014 AMC 8 Winners for the U.S. Ivy League Education Center
- Why Discrete Math is very Important
We will focus on efficient tricks, shortcuts, and strategies to solve competitive math problems as well as test-taking tactics. The emphasis of this class will be on comprehensively problem-solving which is the most important to competitive math.
|1||9/10, Sat||Counting and Combinatorics|
|3||9/24, Sat||Number Theory|
|4||10/1, Sat||Sequences and Patterns|
|5||10/8, Sat||Statistics and Data Analysis|
|6||10/15, Sat||Arithmetic and Proportional Reasoning|
|7||10/22, Sat||Variables, Expressions , and Equations|
|8||10/29, Sat||Algebra and Coordinate Geometry|
|9||11/5, Sat||Plane Geometry|
|10||11/12, Sat||3-D Geometry|
|11||11/19, Sat||Comprehensive problem-solving|
Three simulated tests will help students assess their level of preparation for the Math Competitions. The test consists of 25 questions at the AMC 8/MathCounts level from the licensed AMC Database, and is intended to mimic an actual math competition exam. After attempting the test, students get answers, explanations, and a detailed score report and wise performance summary.
On average, at least 2 hours per week, as described in the article: Homework assignments are a fundamental part of our courses. Click HERE to see a typical homework sample we developed. We will carefully review and check students’ homework, and correct any mistakes. Based on the student work, we will provide him/her with individualized help and support. More details can be found in the article: Homework Correction is very Important — We Give an Extensive Correction of the Incorrect Answers of All Homework.