The period of time between 4th-7th grade is critical to the development of students’ math skills!
- We will help students gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental math concepts, build a solid foundation in math, and develop the critical thinking and problem-solving skills different from those in the school classes, motivation, and perseverance for reaching their full potential.
- We will focus on efficient tricks, shortcuts, and strategies to solve AMC 8/MathCounts problems as well as test-taking tactics.
- We will utilize a highly effective teaching model as described in the article: Small-sized Class Instruction-focused Model.
11 Classes (Eastern Time: 3:30 – 5:30 pm), Total: 22 Hours
9/24, 10/1, 10/8, 10/15 (Mock Test/Review)
10/22, 10/29, 11/5, 11/12 (Mock Exam/Review)
11/19, 11/26 (Thanksgiving No Class), 12/3, 12/10 (Final Mock Exam/Review)
Instructor: Dr. Henry Wan
You are very welcome to sign up for our Online Intensive AMC 8/Mathcounts Prep (for 4th to 7th Graders) Fall Weekend Course which offers a quick, efficient way for students to interact with teachers over long distance. We use Google Hangouts to video chat and easily connect with students to teach them our tricks and shortcuts to getting an amazing score on their contests, as well as offer them our guidance and support. Students can ask questions face-to-face, and can complete problems with the supervision of our teachers/coaches. Click HERE to see detailed instruction.
Online Registration is now open! Click HERE to register.
A commitment to the whole course can maximize the benefit of learning all the math ideas, methods, strategies, tactics, skills, and techniques.
Tuition: $660 (including all materials).
Ivy League Education Center
Tel: 301-922-9508 Email: email@example.com
|Specific Goal of the AMC 8||To become part of the top 5% of scorers on the 2016 AMC 8, and then receive National Honor Roll Certificates. In 2015, this was 16-20 correct out of 25 problems.|
|Handout||The material covered is the accelerated middle school math curriculum. The emphasis will be on basic comprehensive problem-solving.|
|Lecturing||The lecture material will be presented with detailed step-by-step explanations at a slower speed, which allows students time to better understand the material itself.|
|Homework||Problem Sets have similar difficulty and style as the real AMC 8 problems. The focus will on the first 20 problems on the AMC 8. We will give students 500 brand new problems at the AMC 8 level extracted from the licensed AMC Database.
Click HERE to see a typical sample (Regular Level Problem Set).
There are many math competitions in the United States. Of those, only AMC → AIME → USAMO sequence would take you to the IMO (International Math Olympiad), the highest level math competition for high school students in the world!
- Full payment must be received on or before the day of first class.
- A late fee of $50 will be added to the tuition for payment after the first class.
- Withdrawal before the first class: Full Refund
- Withdrawal after the first class: $75 deduction
- No refund after the second class
Our curriculum focuses on advancing the mathematical skills of rising 4th-7th graders to prepare them for AMC 8 and MathCounts. A variety of contest questions are used to teach students strategies to solve problems and help students prepare for the competitions. These problems stimulate their interest and enthusiasm for critical and creative thinking and problem solving, broaden their mathematical intuition, and develop their brainpower. The topics taught in this class are not covered in regular school math classes, allowing our students to stay one step ahead.
- 11 tutorial handouts (220 pages) developed by Dr. Henry Wan and 500 new problems at the AMC 8 level taken from the licensed AMC Database
- 3 FREE mock tests, each of which has 25 questions taken from the licensed AMC Database. Mock tests are calibrated to be at the same difficulty level as the real AMC 8.
- FREE registration for the AMC 8 Contest on Tuesday, November 15, 2016. Please see: The AMC 8 Contest at the Montgomery College on Tuesday, November 15, 2016
Read more at:
- Premier National Mathematics Competition — AMC 8
- 2015 AMC 8 Problems and Answers
- The Big Value of Middle School Math Competitions
- Great Benefits of Math Competitions
- A Little Competition Can Inspire Math Students to Greater Achievement
- Small-sized Class Instruction-focused Model
- Homework Correction is very Important — We Give an Extensive Correction of the Incorrect Answers of All Homework
- Homework assignments are a fundamental part of our courses
- Mathematics competitions are NOT mysterious, and every student can attend them! — 数学竞赛绝非神秘，每个学生都可参加！
- Girls should attend math competitions — 女生更应参加数学竞赛
- 2015 AMC 8 Results Announced
- 2014 AMC 8 Winners for the U.S. Ivy League Education Center
- Why Discrete Math is very Important
We will focus on efficient tricks, shortcuts, and strategies to solve competitive math problems as well as test-taking tactics. The emphasis of this class will be on comprehensively problem-solving which is the most important to competitive math.
|3||10/8, Sat||Number Theory|
|4||10/15, Sat||Sequences and Patterns|
|5||10/22, Sat||Statistics and Data Analysis|
|6||10/29, Sat||Arithmetic and Proportional Reasoning|
|7||11/5, Sat||Variables, Expressions , and Equations|
|8||11/12, Sat||Algebra and Coordinate Geometry|
|9||11/19, Sat||Plane Geometry|
|10||12/3, Sat||3-D Geometry|
|11||12/10, Sat||Comprehensive problem-solving|
Three simulated tests will help students assess their level of preparation for the Math Competitions. The test consists of 25 questions at the AMC 8/MathCounts level from the licensed AMC Database, and is intended to mimic an actual math competition exam. After attempting the test, students get answers, explanations, and a detailed score report and wise performance summary.
On average, at least 2 hours per week, as described in the article: Homework assignments are a fundamental part of our courses. Click HERE to see a typical homework sample we developed. We will carefully review and check students’ homework, and correct any mistakes. Based on the student work, we will provide him/her with individualized help and support. More details can be found in the article: Homework Correction is very Important — We Give an Extensive Correction of the Incorrect Answers of All Homework.